Monday, August 22, 2011

Running Update and a Winning Recipe

I haven't blogged about running in awhile (Jess @21days, is it awhile or a while? I can never remember that rule.), but I have actually been running consistently for a few months. A bit of background: I was planning to run the Little Rock Marathon as my first full last March, but slacked in training and downgraded to the half. I didn't train very well for that, but ran it and ended up with a lot of foot pain/possible stress fracture afterwards. I took a couple months off, realized that spring marathons are not for me and decided to shoot for a fall. I just registered for the Route 66 Marathon in Tulsa, OK in November. Rich and I also realized that it wasn't going to happen for both of us to train for a marathon together. He is going to do the half in Tulsa, so I can focus on training for the full. With Lucy, it just isn't feasible for us to both be running hours a week. After Route 66, we'll switch focus and he can train for a full if he wants to and I'll sacrifice running for baby-duty and stick to shorter runs.


I've been running 3-4 days a week, and hitting the long runs on Saturday. Last week was a 10 miler, and it went great. This is a step-down week so I only have 7 on the calendar for the weekend. The foot is feeling good, and I'm optimistic that my first full is really going to happen!!


Now for the recipe:


White Bean and Hominy Slow Cooker Chili- Rich voted this one a winner!



1 Tbs Olive Oil

1 small yellow onion, diced

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 Tbs chili powder

1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped (optional, I omitted)

1 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes

2 15.5 oz cans white beans, drained and rinsed

1 16 oz can hominy, drained and rinsed

1 1/2 cups water

1/2 tsp ground cumin

1/2 tsp dried oregano

1 tsp salt

1/4 tsp black pepper

2 Tbs chopped fresh cilantro leaves



1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in chili powder and cook about 30 seconds longer.



2. Transfer the mixture to a 4-6 qt slow cooker. Add jalapeno, tomatoes, beans, hominy, water, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.



3. Just before serving, stir in the cilantro




No comments: