Friday, November 28, 2008

Friday Fav 5

1. Mac Paint Pot-comes in different colors, I have painterly which is shown in this pic. I know there are lots of eye primers out there, and this is the only one I have tried but I love it. It gives lids an even tone and covers up veins and that papery-ness eyelids can get. It can be worn alone or under shadow. I like to wear it alone on no-makeup days, or as a canvas for playing with colored shadows. Tinted moisturizer on the face, some paint pot and mascara on the eyes, a dab of blush on cheeks, some lip gloss and you're ready to go with a natural looking, no-fuss face.

2. Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver- for all you people out there who love good quality food, and who care where that food comes from-this is a must read! It chronicles a family as they try to eat locally for a year. They grow their own fruits and vegetables, raise their own chickens, make their own cheese, and barter with like-minded neighbors. Most of us can't feasibly eat locally to this extent, but it does open your eyes and make you think about how your food got from it's field or farm or feedlot to your plate. It is a great read!

3. Sonoma Scent Studio is a great little niche/indie line of perfume from, you guessed it...Sonoma. I sampled many of their scents, liked a few, disliked a few, and LOVED one..Fireside. It is not conventionally "perfumy." It smells like a campfire, and since I have always thought that was a wonderful smell, I fell in love with this perfume. It layers beautifully with vanilla and chocolate scents, to make a smell reminiscent of making smores over a fire. Perfect for fall and winter. A little goes a long way, so my bottle should last me a really long time, and their prices are hard to beat. Here's a note from the perfumer:"Fireside combines sandalwood, cedar, resins, and incense to create the scent of burning woods, reminiscent of sitting by the fire on a cool evening." So if I smell like burning wood the next time I see you, don't worry, I did it on on purpose:)

4. Olive oil from The Olive Press in Sonoma. This past summer Rich, me and my parents went to California and we stopped in this place. It is a winery/olive oil factory. I never realized the variety of olive oils that exits. They range from very green and herbal to rich and buttery, and to me they are all delicious in their own way. My parents came home with several bottles and loved them all. We finally settled on lime infused oil. It is wonderful with vinegar as a salad dressing, or for sauteeing seafood or veggies. You can order online, and if you are looking for a unique gift for a food lover on your list, you can't go wrong with olive oil from The Olive Press. Check out their website, there is so much to choose from and it is all yummy. And if you're ever in wine country, you should definitely stop in for a tasting!
5. Smashbox O-Gloss, intuitive lip gloss with Goji-berry C complex. What is "intuitive lip gloss" you ask? Here's what Sephora's website has to say--Get a shiny pink pout all your own! This intuitive silky gloss reacts with your personal skin chemistry to transform from clear into your own custom shade of pink. Well I think that's a bunch of hooey, but I still like the gloss. It turns a nice pink shade on my lips, but I feel like it would turn the same shade on everyone. It would just look like a custom shade because the same color on different people will look like different colors. It certainly doesn't use it's little Goji-berry brain to know what shade of pink will look good on me, versus what shade would look good on you, but I fell for the gimmick and am very happy with my little pink tube of O-Gloss.

Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments: