Here's the Taste of home version:
And my much less photogenic vegan cake, with the frosting dyed green in honor of upcoming St. Patty's Day.
It may not look very pretty, but it was good!
Here's the recipe (I can honestly say it's the first time I've ever used both beer and tofu in a recipe together).
- 1 cup stout (such as Guinness)
- 1 cup oil (either just canola, or half olive) (note: should try using earth balance!)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-process)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1.5 t baking soda
- 3/4 t salt
- 2 replaced eggs (En-Er-G Egg Replacer is perfect here)
- 2/3 C silken tofu, blended with ~1 T lemon juice
Bring stout and oil to simmer in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add cocoa powder and whisk until mixture is smooth. Cool slightly.
Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in large bowl to blend.
Blend the tofu and lemon juice together, and then add the egg replacer powder and water.
Add tofu mixture to the stout-chocolate mixture pan, and beat just to combine.
Add chocolate mixture to flour mixture, and stir/fold batter until completely combined. Put into pan. Bake until tester inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Transfer cake to rack and cool slightly. Turn cake out onto rack and cool completely.
Makes 1 good-sized cake.
I used this Vegan Cream Cheese frosting recipe.