Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Weekend Recap


We went to Fayetteville, home of the University of Arkansas, to watch the Arkansas vs. LSU baseball game series this past weekend. We had a great time! We got to visit with Rich's mom and stepdad, stepsister and stepnephew. Jackson is 6 months older than Lucy and it was fun to watch them together. She leaned over, grabbed his face and gave him a big kiss. I was a little concerned about how she would do since the game Saturday night was at 7:00pm and her bedtime is around 7:30 or 8:00. She had a great time watching people and being walked around (she holds your fingers and walks, her favorite pastime these days). About 8:00 I wrapped her up and she went to sleep. She even slept through the crowd cheering after a game-winning home run in the bottom of the 9th! She had her first baseball game, first hotel stay and first time in Oklahoma all that weekend because our hotel was right over the AR/OK line.


On the vegan front: I have been reading like crazy this past week trying to get as much comprehensive information on vegan/vegetarian diets, especially in infants and toddlers and lactating women....and lactating women who run :) Basically what I've learned is that Lucy and I need to take supplemental vitamin D, B12 and DHA. You can get away with only B12 if you're 100% certain your diet contains enough D and DHA but I'm going to supplement just to be on the safe side. We will be eating a ton of beans, coconut and almond milks, orange juice with added calcium and D, fortified cereals, walnuts, flax seeds, other nuts and nut butters, and of course fruits and veggies. I'm going to start making green smoothies for us. I'm hoping she continues to outgrow her soy intolerance so we can add in soy sources of protein like soymilk, soybeans, tofu, etc. With me breastfeeding and her being a baby, making sure our diet is balanced and supplying all that we need for growth and development is crucial. The book Becoming Vegan has been a great resource because it breaks down how you need to tweak things for various stages of life such as infants/toddlers/pregnancy/over or underweight/elderly. I also loved Disease-Proof Your Child: Feeding Kids Right. It addessed many health concerns of children, and of adults as a result of childhood dietary habits.


I'm making a trip to Whole Foods tomorrow and will hopefully make several things for us to have to eat this week. Some things I'm itching to try include: Fudgesicles (made with cashews, bananas and carob), Oat-Flax bars, Quinoa with peppers, Carrot Cream Soup, and a salad with Orange Cashew Dressing. I'll post pics, recipes and reviews of what I cook.

No comments: