Thursday, February 23, 2012

30 Days of Pinterest-Day 8: Pesto Vegetarian Lasagna

This skinny version from Bethenny Frankel was what I pinned.  I made this yesterday and it turned out good.

pesto lasagna

 I don't have a picture of mine because Fiona (the boxer) decided to eat it while Lucy and I were out running.  I did snag a piece for lunch first, and I have to say it's pretty good.  My version wasn't quite as skinny because I used whole milk ricotta instead of part skim, and a little extra cheese on top.  I would also recommend using about twice as much pesto, and bake in a smaller than 9x13 pan.

Here's my version:

8 ounces whole wheat lasagna noodles
1.5 15oz containers of ricotta (part skim or whole depending on if you're trying to keep it light)
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted and chopped
1 cup packaged (or homemade if you're feeling industrious) pesto
6 ounces part skim mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350. Spray 8x11 (approximate, a 9x13 would work but it would be really thin) casserole dish with cooking spray.  Cook noodles according to package directions, drain and set aside.

Stir together ricotta, pine nuts and basil.

Spread about 1/3 of pesto into bottom of dish, layer half the noodles on top of pesto, top with half the ricotta mixture. Repeat. Top off with another layer of pesto and sprinkle on the mozzarella.  Bake for about 35 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.

No comments: