Wednesday, February 15, 2012

30 Days of Pinterest: Day 1 - homemade laundry detergent

I am officially in the ranks of the Pinterest-obsessed.  I pin and pin and pin, but wasn't actually doing much with it. So here comes 30 Days of Pinterest, where I will attempt to cook/make/do something from it each day.

Today is homemade laundry detergent.  There are recipes out there for a liquid version but it is a bit more complicated, so I decided to try the powder first.

I got all the ingredients at Walmart. You need 1 bar of soap (not perfumed or moisturizing) like Fels-Naptha or plain Ivory, 1 cup of Borax and 1 cup of Washing (NOT baking) soda.  All 3 were together in the laundry isle at my Walmart.

Step 1: grate the soap. I used a cheese crater then put it in the food processor to get it as fine as possible.
Step 2: add the Borax and Soda, mix
Step 3: There is no step 3.

Use 2 Tbs per full load.  This should be fine for both front and top loaders and both conventional and HE washers.






Posted by Picasa

No comments: