Sunday, May 17, 2009

Last Week's Runs

Last week was a stepdown week, with 4 x 5 mile runs, with goal pace of each one being 11:25.

Tuesday: 5 mile progressive run, I'm not sure the exact splits but they started with the first mile around 11:40 and finished with the 5th mile around 10:15.

Wednesday: Terrible 5 miles on the beach. It was very windy, 20-30mph on the beach and my legs and lungs felt dead from the first step. I managed to "run" (aka, jog extremely slowly) the first 3, then had to walk/jog the last 2. Total time= 1:04

Friday: Great 5 over the bridge: the uphill miles were around 12:30, then downhill miles around 10:30, total time 57:??

Saturday: Much better 5 on the beach. After the craptastic run Wednesday, I needed to redeem myself. It was gorgeous out, very warm and muggy and the beach was packed with people. I was pretty jealous that I was just there to run, then had to leave and go to work instead of getting to enjoy a beach day. But it was nice to get out there anyway! Total time 56:15

Summary-good week, got all the miles in although some were pretty painful and ugly, weight training was a big fat fail however, I didn't do any workouts this week other than the 4 runs.
20 miles total.

**Emmy leaves today. Rich is meeting a lady at 6pm who is transporting her up to her new foster home in North Carolina. It was really sad saying goodbye to her today when I left for work and knowing that after having her in our home for 7 months, loving her like she was our own, we won't ever see her again. It is for the best, we obviously couldn't keep her forever, and that's what fostering is all about, but it is still hard to say goodbye. I wish her the best life imaginable in her new foster home, and eventually in her forever home!!

13 comments:

RunToTheFinish said...

oh man i can't imagine fostering..it would be so hard to care so much and let go.

those windy runs are always tough!

Lisa said...

Good job getting your runs in, especially redeeming yourself on the beach.

I am glad the dog has a home now. It would be tough to foster. She sounds like she took special people to take care of her. I definitely couldn't do it (with two small children, a passive dog and a cat). Good for you!

kristen said...

Sounds like we were supposed to have the exact same stepdown week - only I missed every one of them except for one, and the only reason I did that was becasue I paid for it.

Good job pushing through the tough ones. It's better than nothing (like I did)

No Longer Using said...

wow i can't believe you will never see her again! that is very sad but you will have to hold on to all the good memories. great runs! interesting running the same distance for four days!! you know i don't think i've ever done that!!! it does go to show how much different running can be for any person day to day, even going the same distance.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

fostering must be very rewarding and sad at the same time. nice runs... good and bad :)

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a solid week of running.

You guys are such special people to open your house to animals who need love.

MCM Mama said...

Good job getting all of the runs done! I'm glad Emma is getting a new home. You guys are awesome for fostering her for so long.

Lindsay said...

i love running on the beach but that wind is such a mood killer! way to tough it out. i have a hard time making myself do non-running workouts too. hey it's a victory to meet all of your running/mileage goals, we can't be overachieving here :)

sad about emmy, but it is for the best and hopefully she finds that perfect family asap!

Jess said...

It would be so tough to say goodbye! I don't think I could do it.

Nice job getting the runs in.

Brooke said...

I agree...I would have such a hard time letting my furry friends go!! Great job getting in all those miles!!

Alisa said...

I could never foster for longer than a couple of weeks. I would get wayyyyy to attached!

Nice job on the runs...wind and hills...ugh! =) You survived!

Jeri said...

good job on the runs, especially the windy one. ugh!

Abby said...

Ugh, I've been terrible with weight training, too - I need to get my butt in gear with that!

What a wonderful thing you guys are doing for these dogs. I can imagine what it's like, having to say goodbye...