Monday, April 13, 2009

The Weekend: Part 2 and 3 of 3

Saturday: Woke up not feeling the greatest from Friday's escapades so my planned 15 miler did not happen. We spent a good half an hour searching for my car keys, turned out they were under the couch. I'm guessing Tanner drug them off the counter when he threw his house party Friday night and somehow flung them and they wound up under the couch. Then we went to our friends house for the guys to fish and the girls to hang out and play with their 3 month old baby. I had my blackberry with me, and started tweeting back and forth with Kristin about our long runs that we were each planning to do on Sunday. She lives in Charleston and is a fellow runner/blogger/tweeter and we've chatted for several weeks but never met in person. She suggested that we run together, and I was hesitant because I've never run with anyone besides Richard and my long run pace is usually between 11:00-12:00. Plus..with long runs, you just never know how they are going to go and I didn't want to have a crappy run with someone else counting on me. But Kristin assured me that her long run pace was something I could handle so we decided to give it a shot.

Sunday: Kristin had her last long run before her taper (20ish) so she ran 6 before I met her. We met up at her apartment then headed out for an out and back, including the Cooper River Bridge for some hill action. I was nervous that I wasn't going to be able to maintain a good pace, and just that I wasn't going to be able to complete 15 miles since 14 is the longest I had run before. But I made it! The last 2 miles were pretty tough, and the last mile was really tough but we both achieved our goals with no puking or bleeding so all was well. Kristin was a total stud-ette and finished up with 21.5 miles and I was psyched to finish my 15.
It was a great run and we chatted the entire time so the miles flew by. I really don't remember anything about the route we ran because we were so focused on running and talking...it was great to have the distraction. Afterwards we stretched and cooled down and agreed that we would definitely be running together again!
I stopped on the way home and bought a couple bags of ice for the ice death, I mean ice bath. I was so exhausted I could barely carry the 2 bags to the car, and thankfully Rich met me outside and lugged them upstairs to the tub while I changed into my sweatshirt and bathing suit. Getting in is the hardest part, but I've found screaming obscenities at the top of my lungs for the first minute or so really helps ease the pain. Rich was super sweet and plugged in the hair dryer and blasted me with warm air which also helped. After 15 minutes I felt tortured enough and it was shower time. I wasn't sure whether a hot shower would undo the ice bath, so I opted for lukewarm. Then I slipped on my recovery socks (review coming soon, but I love them!) and we went to Los Arcos for some recovery Mexican food. The rest of the day was spent relaxing and grilling steaks with friends (same friends from Friday and Saturday...sometimes we don't see each other for weeks, sometimes we hang out daily).
So all in all it was a great Easter weekend at the Morris farm!

13 comments:

Carolina John said...

glad your weekend ended up ok. the ice bath sounds like torture, while the long run sounds fun!

Anonymous said...

15 miles..you rock!

Marlene said...

Way to go on the 15-miler! It must have been nice having some company.

Those first few minutes in the ice bath are pure HELL! Good idea with the blow-dryer. I wonder if my hubby would do that for me!

Anonymous said...

Way to enjoy the 15! It is always nice having someone there to chat with.

Nice job suffering through the ice bath!

Kristin @ The Southern Summer said...

Dude, it so cracks me up that you wear your bathing suit and a sweatshirt! I didn't even think about that, I just strip and hop in!

Of course, I also don't use two whole giant bags of ice so maybe that's the dif :)

Also, how sweet is your hubby to heat you with your blow dryer??

Alisa said...

Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also do the sweatshirt and bathing suit for ice baths. Usually some sort of hot drink too.

Aron said...

awesome job on the 15!!!!

i'm all about the sweatshirt in the ice bath too... i dont know how you get in with the ice in there already! i wait to put it in until i am already in the water :)

Brian said...

Hell ya! 15 miles is crazy talk, haha. I rarely run with anyone too, I just did Sunday and it was a complete change of mentality. I still cant get over how all you ladies do ice baths,,eeeek!

Adam said...

Good job on the 15 miler!!!

AddictedToEndorphins said...

I've never subjected myself to an ice bath and don't think I want to!

Great job on the 15 miler!

No Longer Using said...

CONGRATS! that is awesome. i think sometimes the hardest part of the long runs is all the lead up and thinking about it, worrying if you can or can't or what MIGHT go wrong! so glad you had someone to stick with, way to go :)

kilax said...

I totally wish I had a buddy like that to run with! Okay, I run with my husband often, but he isn't as talkative as I am . Good work on your 15 miles! :)

Lindsay said...

glad the weekend got better :)

nice job on the long run!! i find that screaming random things in the ice bath helps too, so i definitely laughed at that. just gotta make sure you don't piss off the hubs so he doesn't drop the hair dryer in the tub on you ;-)