Monday, January 26, 2009

The Weekend

Friday night we went to visit with some friends and just had a nice low-key night hanging out and had a couple glasses of wine. Saturday morning we had a 12 miler planned, but it was cold and we both had slight wine-headaches from Friday night so we spent the morning laying around catching up on a 2 weeks worth of DVR including Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Houswives (I think I'm the only person who still watches these 2), Nip Tuck and Lost. We finally headed out for our run around 3pm, right as it decides it wants to rain. I actually enjoy rainy runs so it wasn't a big deal. We drove out to a 6 mile loop that we would run twice. It turned out to be a great run for Richard and a really crappy run for me. The first lap I felt like we were going "really fast" which for me is anything <11 min miles, but we were really going 11:30 min miles...not a good sign. Everything hurt, my feet had pains they've never had before, my entire back hurt, my hands went a little numb. My sport beans at mile 4 helped some, but they seemed to wear off pretty fast. Rich went ahead of me on the 2nd lap, so it was just me and the Ipod. I wanted to speed up the last 2 miles but my body just didn't have any oomph. At mile 10 to about 11.5 I was struck with the overwhelming urge to stop and walk and cry. It was a wierd feeling. I knew if I stopped I wasn't sure I could get going again so I plodded along. Beyonce came on the Ipod and I rocked out to Single Ladies for the last few minutes which really helped me kick it out at the end.



Final stat was 12 miles in 2:14, about 16 seconds per mile slower than my last HM time so not ideal but it was all I had in me at the time. I'm hoping to have the bad painful run out of the way and that the HM in 3 weeks will be nice and smooth, crossing my fingers!

The after-run was really wierd too. I felt almost flu-like, with some chills and nausea and body aches. Maybe it was toxins from the wine the night before? Food sounded terrible so I didn't eat for almost 2 hours after we finished, just drank Gatorade, which was probably not a smart move. I had eaten some oatmeal around 10am, then really nothing else besides a couple big spoonfuls of brown sugar (yes, I eat straight brown sugar from the bag occassionally, it is delicious), before we ran so maybe that contributed to it being an all around icky run. I have a lot to learn about running nutrition. Anybody else ever felt flu-like post long run?

Yesterday we saw Slumdog Millionaire. It is really good and I highly recommend it! Then we played some Mario 3 on our new Wii and both got mad when we couldn't beat World 3. I think we need some practice on that one:)

7 comments:

Marlene said...

Way to get the run done when you wanted to quit - great demonstration of mental strength!

EC said...

Love, love, love that Beyonce song. I have to sing to it EVERYTIME I hear it! It puts you in an automatic good mood.

Alisa said...

That Beyonce song always makes me dance and sing a little =).

Hope you are getting more into Edgar!

Anonymous said...

The flu like symptoms could have been caused by dehydration. Way to tough it out.

Brooke said...

great job! I hate runs like that...good for you for sticking it out!

Kim said...

Good for you for kicking it through to the end.

I would guess your pre-race nutrition had everything to do with the way you felt during and after your run...especially waiting til 3 to run and having just some oatmeal and spoonfuls of brown sugar-goof!

Brian said...

First of all it will take YEARS to master Mario 3 no matter how skilled you are, haha. I feel a lil different after a long run. Yesterday I just felt empty/hungry and I wish I had a Gu or a piece of gum or somethin to keep my mind of it. Go job on the 12 miler though!